Tooth decay is one of the most common dental health concerns that can afflict patients of all ages. Caught early, dental cavities can be quickly and conservatively repaired with a dental filling. Left untreated, dental decay can spread and infect the inner pulp of the tooth ultimately resulting in tooth loss and a higher risk of developing gum disease and bone recession.
Claremont Dental Institute provides state of the art dental solutions for restoring teeth with decay. We use laser dentistry and offer sedation options reducing discomfort and anxiety. All treatments for tooth decay are performed from the comfort of our Claremont, CA dentist office.
Drill-Less Dental Fillings
Laser dentistry has changed the way many dental procedures are performed, including the traditional dental fillings. Laser dentistry has made dental fillings a less invasive procedure and often reduces or eliminates the need for anesthesia. Laser dental fillings help patients with dental anxiety feel more comfortable during treatment and provides them with a lasting and natural treatment option for tooth decay.
Benefits of Drill-Less Fillings
- Reduces or eliminates the need for anesthesia
- Uses a precise kinetic particle to gently and comfortable remove decay
- Allows for early intervention, and ability to preserve healthy tooth structure
- Doesn’t grind away healthy tooth structure
- Safe and effective for children and adults with tooth decay
Replace Metal Dental Fillings
At Claremont Dental Institute we practice holistic dentistry. That means we consider all aspects of your oral health as well as your overall wellness and wellbeing. Our dentists help patients find the right solutions for them based on their personal goals, beliefs and dental health.
We offer patients aesthetic alternatives to old metal dental fillings that contain mercury. For patients who have metal fillings, our dentists may recommend replacing the metal filling with a white ceramic filling. Depending on the extent of decay an white filling, inlay, or onlay may be used to restore the tooth after the metal filling has been removed. We adhere to all Association of Mercury Safe Dentistry (IAMSD), the International Academy of Oral Medicine and Toxicology (IAOMT), and other prominent biological and holistic dental organization protocols for the safe removal of mercury fillings.
Inlay & Onlays Ceramic Fillings
Inlay and onlays are considered “partial dental crowns”. The inlay or onlay is custom designed for a natural result that is indistinguishable from the tooth. Metal-free ceramic inlay and onlays are most commonly used to repair and restore a tooth damaged by advanced tooth decay.
- Inlay: Inlays are a custom dental restoration used to repair decay found in the cusp of a molar. These areas are common decay zones that can be difficult to treat or clean due to the grooves and crevices. Inlays are designed to fit the contours of the tooth creating a tight seal to prevent future decay or damage to the molar.
- Onlay: An onlay is used to mend a large surface area affected by tooth decay. Onlays are commonly used to treat decay or damage that occurs on the front surface of teeth in the “smile-zone.” Onlays are bonded to a clean tooth and create a seamless result.
Preventing Tooth Decay
Tooth decay is most commonly a result of poor oral hygiene. Patients can help reduce their risk of tooth decay by visiting the dentist at least once every six months. Biannual dental checkups allow your Claremont Dental Institute dentist to catch decay as soon as possible allowing for conservative treatment options.
Brushing and flossing at least twice a day is the best way to keep your teeth cavity-free inbetween your routine visits to our dentist office. Brushing and flossing remove debris from the teeth preventing the build-up of disease-causing bacteria. During your routine dental exams our dental care team can make personalized recommendations on how to improve your at home oral hygiene routine.