Not only are crooked teeth unpleasant to look at, but they can also cause serious dental health issues along with general health issues. Not to mention crooked teeth can cause issues relating to your self-esteem and confidence.
Causes For Crooked Teeth
Most of the time crooked teeth are from genetics, meaning that if your parents have crooked teeth than you are likely to suffer from crooked teeth as well. Crooked teeth also are caused by an injury to your face whether it is from sports, car accident or something related. Regardless of the cause, it is imperative to address your crooked teeth immediately to avoid further issues.
Problems that crooked can cause
- Tooth Decay
- Crooked teeth cause your teeth not to fit securing to your gums giving bacteria additional spaces to hide out and grow inside your mouth. Tooth decay will cause cavities which can cause unnecessary discomfort and expenses to fix.
- Gum Disease
- Gum disease begins when bacteria in your mouth form into plaque. The beginning stage of gum disease is called gingivitis which can lead to a more serious form of gum disease called periodontitis. Gum disease can lead to other serious illnesses. However, gum disease is completely preventable with proper oral hygiene. Proper oral hygiene is easiest when your teeth are straight.
- Risk of Injury
- Since crooked teeth or not smooth, this leaves you vulnerable to additional injuries inside your mouth. For example, if you play sports and have an injury to your face, you are more likely to have additional injuries inside your mouth with crooked teeth.
- Halitosis / Bad Breath
- Yes, crooked teeth look bad. But do you know how bad they can smell? We hope you never have to find out. Halitosis, also known as bad breath can be chronic and embarrassing so much that it affects your daily activities.
- General Health Concerns
- Not a lot of people realize that crooked teeth can be a contributing factor to some serious issues affecting your general health, not just your dental health. Oral infections caused by bacteria buildup may lead to more serious issues such as heart disease, stroke, diabetes, and even pneumonia.
SCHEDULE A CONSULTATION
If you are dealing with crooked teeth and are searching for solutions while living in or around Claremont, CA, visit Claremont Dental Institute. If you would like to schedule an appointment, you can call (909) 277-6919 or request an appointment online.